SpoilerTV - TV Spoilers

Cruel Intentions - Pilot Still Alive at NBC, Possibly for Summer 2017 *Updated*



Updated May 15th: Comments from Bob Greenblatt

Cruel Intentions may not have received a formal series order, but NBC is stopping short of calling the Sarah Michelle Gellar-fronted TV adaptation DOA.

During a conference call with reporters to discuss the network’s 2016-17 fall schedule, entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said the project remains in consideration. “It goes under the heading of embarrassment of riches,” he said. “There’s just so many shows that we have [already] scheduled or ordered.” The exec also conceded that Cruel Intentions is “a bit of an outlier for us, because there’s no other show like it in our list of genres.

“But we like it,” he concluded, “and we’re still discussing it and trying to figure it out.”
Source:



NBC cleaned house and re-stocked their slate this week, but one hot pilot that was missing from the list of greenlights was “Cruel Intentions.”

The series revival of the ’90s flick may still happen, Variety has learned, and “Cruel Intentions” could end up on NBC’s 2016-2017 schedule.

NBC and Sony Television have been in long negotiations over the project, which remains a favorite of both the network and the studio. Sources close to the project say that all execs involved want to see “Cruel” go all the way, but NBC and Sony haven’t yet come to an agreement over stacking rights or ownership.

NBC had been in separate negotiations with Sony over “Cruel Intentions” and “The Blacklist,” though a source says “Blacklist’s” pickup had no impact on “Cruel’s” ultimate fate.

Late on Friday, insiders close to “Cruel” told Variety that the two parties decided not to make a decision before Upfronts, but plan to re-visit discussions after the week-long NYC presentations and are hopeful to settle on a summer 2017 debut — a time of year that could be perfect for a young, social-savvy show like “Cruel Intentions.”
Source:

Get Email Alerts