Sunday's series premiere of Betrayal happened to coincide with the season 3 premiere of the Dutch TV series Penoza. In case you forgot, ABC made a remake of Penoza, called Red Widow, which was cancelled after one season. Betrayal, which is a remake of the Dutch TV series Overspel, is also unlikely to get a second season after its premiere numbers bombed. Why are the Dutch versions enormously popular while the American counterparts suck?
Just to be clear, I haven't seen either of the four shows. I am a Dutchman, but I am not a big fan of homemade TV series. When we watch TV, it will be an American scripted program 70% of the time. The other 30% is either a film (also English-languaged), news, sports events and sometimes a Dutch program, usually non-scripted (e.g. a quiz show or occasionaly The Voice). Since I have not seen any actual footage, I am completely relying on reviews and commentaries.
And which Dutch drama will be next to be remade? Vuurzee was said to be also adapted by ABC, but it didn't make the cut. Perhaps they could try it once again? Or maybe they should just stop making remakes and instead broadcast the original show with English translations.