FX is developing Mohicans, an adaptation of James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, published in 1826 and adapted in 1992 into a feature film directed by Michael Mann and written by Chris Crowe. Crowe is on board to pen the script of the pilot alongside Kerry McCluggage (Miami Vice) and Steve Beck.
This potential miniseries will tell the story of America's beginnings as a nation as told through the eyes of Cooper's classic characters.
Mohicans joins a robust slate of limited series in development at FX. They're also prepping :
- Conquistadors, a mini based on the book Last Days of the Incas.
- Mayflower, from Paul Giamatti.
- Grand Hotel, from Sam Mendes.
- Mad Dogs, based on the British series and adapted by Shawn Ryan.
- Sutton, based on JR Moehringer's novel and adapted by Alexander Payne.
- They Marched Into Sunlight, a six-part Vietnam War project from Stephen Gaghan.
One limited series has already been ordered, it's Fargo and it will premiere on FX in 2014.