"I am already dead. I am something you will never understand. I will haunt you. I will show up in your nightmares. You let me go."
- Rachael to Gary
Resurrection continued the mysterious first season with the penultimate episode, Schemes of the Devil. What is common with most penultimate episodes is that it raises more questions than it answers, paving the way for the season finale that should tie everything together and prepare us for the following season. Sunday nights episode was definitely my favorite and it felt like an entirely new show. I was liking the show before, but now I love it and cannot wait for the finale. I really hope it gets picked up for a second season now that there is an entirely new feel.
'Schemes of the Devil' takes place right after the last episode with Rachael missing and Tom and Marty investigating her disappearance. Gary has her tied up in his cabin and wants revenge for the murder of his cousin. He doesn't understand how everyone is 'ok' with the returned just walking around and is trying desperately to make sense of it, urging Rachael to tell him 'what' she is. I thought the scenes with Gary and Rachael were really well done and almost believed Rachael when she attempted to appeal to Gary's biblical side, saying she was the devil. Fred comes to her rescue and Gary then traps both of them before Marty and Tom figure out where Gary took Rachael. In the ensuing standoff between Marty, Tom and Gary, Rachael tries to overpower her captor only to get shot herself and succumbs to her injury. This is the first instance we have seen of one of the 'returned' dying and I instantly thought that maybe she would return again.
The main story of the episode is definitely the one involving Jacob and his new friend Jenny, as well as the shocking ending. I won't spoil it for you, but it's what made me go from just liking this show to loving it. I only wish the writers had done something like this sooner in the season. Jacob's friend, Jenny, was a great addition to the episode and a perfect element by the writers to introduce the shocking reveal at the end.
'Schemes of the Devil' was, by far, my favorite episode of the show so far and I can't wait for the finale on Sunday night. I wanted to get this article out earlier so we could all discuss the possible theories in preparation for the finale, but there is no reason we cannot still do that.
Thoughts and Discussion - Spoilers
- Was what Jacob whispered to Jenny right before he left her the first time important? What could it have been?
- Where did Caleb's blood go? It looked like it was poured out rather than just disappear altogether like he did.
- Was there any meaning to Jacob playing with his hands when he was getting frustrated by Tom and Marty's continuous questions about Rachael? *One observant commenter below noticed Rachael was doing the same thing with her hands. Is there a connection or something more to it?
- Did you notice?...Jenny's mom had a 'red' pocket on her dress? I tried to look for the color red in some of the other 'returned', but couldn't on all of them. The man that appeared to be the fifties that asked Sheriff Fred what year it was did have a red tie on. The soldier from Korea has red in the pin on his chest. And, of course, Rachael is wearing a red dress. I'm not sure if the two pilots Fred almost hit on his way to see if Barbara came back were 'returned' or not. Finally, Barbara's shirt had pink, or a shade of red, on it.
- I guess most of us were right in thinking that Barbara was with Sam the whole time and most likely 'returned' when Jacob did.
- Did you notice?...Rachael appears in the middle of the road to Marty wearing the same red flower dress she wore when she 'returned' the first time.
- Will Eric's formula for locating the returned still work with all the new 'returned' citizens? Is Arcadia the only city or town where this is happening?
- I think one of the most important questions is 'Why now?'. Why have the dead come back now and not at any other time? Do they have a purpose?
- Where is Caleb? What was his purpose?
Thanks for checking out my Review! I can't believe we only have ONE episode left! I would really like to see more now that there is so much to explore! I will Review the finale by Monday so we can discuss the whole first season.