‘The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.
- George Bernard Shaw
Greetings Royals! I’m Lilith and I’m your new reviewer for Reign here on Spoiler TV.
There are a few things you should know:
1) I’m not a shipper (but I love shippers because they bring so much passion and zeal to the comments).
2) I just got all caught up with season 1 once I heard there would be a season 2.
3) I haven’t been on any boards or forums for the show, YET, so if I get some of the fandom stuff wrong, I apologize in advance.
4) I don't do spoilers for this show (yes, I see the irony in that statement).
OK, well let’s just get right into the recap and review portion of this article, shall we?
My thoughts on the writer…
The story was by Wendy Riss Gatsiounis who last wrote episode 1x06: Chosen. As far as I can she really likes to put Mary and Bash at odds and have them come together over the weekly lesson that was had. Meanwhile the teleplay (aka the heavy lifting) was done by Alan McCullough. The last episode he wrote was 1x09: For King and Country. All in all, I thought this was a good solid script and story overall.
My thoughts on the director…
This is the second episode that Holly Dale has directed, the first being 1x03: Kissed. There was nothing fancy, just a steady, keen eye that didn’t stand out. This is something that I like very much. Not much else to say on this front so…
Mary and Bash disagree on what is to be done with Catherine's younger sons, Charles and Henry. Going against Mary's wishes, Bash arranges for the boys to be taken out of France under the guise of a kidnapping, but Clarissa intercedes and kidnaps the boys for real. Nostradamus helps Catherine escape the tower but she refuses to leave when she learns her sons are missing. Catherine joins Mary and Bash to find Clarissa, who wants to kill the boys as revenge for their mother's abandoning her. Mary hits Clarissa with a rock, apparently killing her. Mary and Bash reconcile, Bash agreeing to care for the boys. Mary asks Bash to marry her immediately, without waiting for the annulment of Catherine and Henry's marriage, and he accepts. Lola goes to Paris to help her brother, and happens to meets Francis, who helps her settle her brother's debt. Lola and Francis bond over their similar situation and make love. Francis learns that Catherine is to be executed and decides to return to court.
Character of the Night – Mary
Best Character Interactions – Francis and Lola
Line of the Night - Mary: Safe choices don't always make us safe, I see that now.
Scene of the Night – Bash, Catherine and Mary come to the rescue of Charles and Henry as Clarissa tries to drown them in the river.
1. Mary looking at the blood on the rock (is this foreshadowing that they plan to take a more historical approach to the show later on and have her become ‘Bloody Mary’?)
2. Catherine says her “final” goodbyes to the young princes Charles and Henry.
3. Catherine finally believes that Mary wished her no ill will.
1. Francis: I’m told I look like the Dauphin of France, only taller (great callback to an episode from earlier in the season).
2. Lord Hugo: Factions need a flag to rally behind and every young prince with a claim to the throne is another flag. But if those flags were taken away…
3. Catherine: I am your mother. And do you know how I know? Because I can see you now, holding that knife. Willing to pay any price for your convictions. It’s the same time I’ve done more than once to fight for my children. For what I knew was mine. But look at your mother now, condemned to die. If you want the pain to stop, learn from your mother’s mistakes. Choose a better way, let yourself be loved.
1. Mary attempts to take the boys out for a day of fun
2. Mary attempts a proposal to Bash
3. Francis and Lola chat about their privileged lives and what a “pathetic” pair they make.
•Catherine fakes her suicide
•Clarissa is dead and Mary was the one to do her in.
•Francis and Lola had sex.
Style Spotlight: I really liked Lola’s orange floral dress.
Tasty Tidbit: Bash and Mary go for daily rides together. I think that’s really cute.
•Clarissa deserved a better grave (if she is in fact really dead).
•Lola’s family should really severe ties with that brother of hers; he seems like nothing but trouble. May we never see him again.
•Keena and Greer had a miniscule amount of screen time this week, might as well not have even shown them at all.
1. Is Clarissa really dead?
2. How will Francis and Lola’s tryst affect their relationship with Mary?
3. Whose side were you on this week? Mary for wanting to keep the boys close, or were you on Bash's side in wanting to send the boys away?
4. Did anyone else want to attend that Frost Fest? It looked like tons of fun.
Side Notes: I’m very eager to connect with my fellow Royals so follow me on Twitter (I’m totally on Team Follow Back, LOL!) and we can have a live tweeter party every week.
Don’t for to live tweet with the show (@cw_reign) and me (@lilithhellfire) every Thursday night at 9 pm EST.
Shameless Plugs & Self-Promotion
If you like Arrow, Awkward, Beauty and the Beast, Bitten, Continuum, Drop Dead Diva, House of Cards and/or Teen Wolf be sure to check out my blog.
Well, now it's your turn to sound off in the comments section below. I look forward to reading your thoughts.
PS: Don't forget to promote this and all interesting Reign articles in all the social media you can. For instance be sure to click the like button, retweet this and +1 this article if you like it and appreciate this reviewer's hard work.