Rob Thomas has announced that The Veronica Mars Movie will be shot in LA, starting mid-June/2013.
In one of his project updates by e-mail, Rob listed why this is great news.
For starters, it gives us the best possible look for the movie. If it came down to it, we could have re-created Neptune somewhere else, but nowhere else would have looked quite like Southern California.
Even more important, shooting in LA gives us the best possible chance to bring back our original cast and arrange some amazing cameo appearances, since it requires far less time, travel and expense.
On a more personal note, I lived in Los Angeles for 15 years before moving back to my home town of Austin, TX in 2009. So in addition to all of the important movie-making reasons I'm happy we'll be shooting in Los Angeles, I also have several personal reasons.
1) We moved my 8 year old daughter away from her favorite Los Angeles Chinese restaurant three years ago and she hasn't stopped harping about it since. We're going to rent a house for the days we're shooting in Los Angeles. The only requirement is that it must be in said restaurant's delivery radius.
2) We will be able to take my son to Disneyland for his 5th birthday in July. His sister has been lording her trips to Disneyland over him. I heard him say, "Small World this" in the next room the other day.
3) It's never 75 degrees in July in Texas.
4) I plan on wearing jodhpurs and holding a riding crop while directing. Anywhere but Los Angeles, people might question these choices.
5) Yes, I would like to be valet parked, thank you. And yes, I would like my table to be waited on by someone much, much better looking than me.
Rob has also shared that the negotiations with the cast are in full mode and that the fans will love some of the cameos he's been hoping to land!
More updates soon! Stay tuned!
Follow me on Twitter