Posted by Dahne1 at Sunday, November 18, 2012 20 CommentsSupernatural
The brother bond is back! Woo hoo! Judging on fan reaction, I wasn't the only one to be pleasantly surprised by the lack of brother sniping in this episode. Plus we had Crowley snark so there are plenty of quotables. Don't forget to nominate your favorite 2 quotes for our ultimate quote game this summer. Also because I can never stop messing with the format of these posts, I've decided to add quick reviews at the end. These are only my opinions of course. Your mileage will vary.
11. Crowley: "Nah, are all young people so horribly cynical? Depresses me Kevin. Here's the thing. I really want you to read the tablet because frankly this lot failed to inspire. However, better a stupid prophet than a stubborn prophet as they say it goes."
10. Justin: "You're aliens right?" Crowley: "Possibly a long shot. This mean anything to you?" Justin: "I don't read Chinese." Crowley: "Talk about the dumbing down of America."
9. Crowley: "I hope the ruckus down the hall wasn't too off putting. Construction standards aren't what they were during the Inquisition."
8. Crowley: "It's all very West Side Story but let's be logical. You look like hell and I should know. You're not up for this."
7. Sam: "You look like you've…well I was going to say you look like you've seen a ghost but you'd probably be stoked."
6. Crowley: "Well I suppose there's no reason to keep torturing you then." (Crowley stabs Samandriel again.) Crowley: "Sorry. Once you get going, it's really hard to stop."
5. Mrs. Tran: "I hired a witch." Kevin: "A witch?" Mrs. Tran: "Off of Craigslist. Her name is Delta Mendota and she is a smart cookie. She's scrappy, reliable, and she's willing to kill."
4. Crowley: "So, read any good tablets lately?"
3. Crowley: "Blah, blah, blah. Does anyone ever edit this stuff? So far as a writer God's a snooze. No fun at parties I hear."
2. Crowley: "Which Castiel is it this time? I'm never sure - madman or megalomaniac?"
1. Crowley: "Anyone else want to complain? Hmm."
11. Cas: "Heaven? I've never been here before." Naomi: "Not many have. My name is Naomi. We rescued you." Cas: "Purgatory." Naomi: "An excursion of angels which cost us many lives. Consider these chats your repayment."
10. Sam: "Why would demons want them?" Dean: "Why do demons want anything?"
9. Benny: "Putting a lot of trust in you brother." Dean: "You earned it." Benny: "I'll see you on the other side."
8. Kevin: "This one describes sealing the gates of hell." Crowley: "So it's true. It's there. Clearly humans can't possess this thing. What was God thinking? We'll get back to that. Just getting to the sexy part."
7. Kevin: "You just killed my mother." Crowley: "Very unfortunate but to be fair, she was plotting to kill me and my kind."
6. Cas: "Maybe you were lied to. Maybe there is no seam." Benny: "I lie. I don't get lied to. Aren't you guys all about faith?" Cas: "Not particularly."
5. Crowley: "Don't provoke my Kevin. You still have 9 fingers."
4. Crowley: "The power grid in heaven is so whacked out they don't even know you're not there. So on the count of 3. I…2…" (Crowley stabs Samandriel) Samandriel: "What happened to 3." Crowley: "I lied. I do that. Just give me the other names."
3. Naomi: "It's not your concern. Help the Winchesters. Come when they call. You will report in to me regularly and you will never remember having done so."
2. Cas: "Yeah angels instinctively know the names of every prophet, past, present and future." Dean: "So this list if the name of every one of them that exists?" Cas: "Yes until the next generation is born. Plus Kevin Tran of course. The other 7 are future prophets since uh only one can exist at a time."
1. Crowley: "There are more tablets. More than Leviathan and demon."
7. Dean: "Exactly. What? What the hell happened? Back there, Purgatory. I told you I would get you out. Okay we were there. It's like you just gave up. It's like you didn't believe we could do it. I mean you kept saying that you didn't think it would work. Did you not trust me?"
6. Dean: "I did everything I could to get you out. Everything. I did not leave you." Cas: "So you think this was your fault?"
5. Dean: "What the hell are you talking about?" Cas: "It's where I belonged. I needed to do penance for the things I did on earth and in heaven. I didn't deserve to be out and I saw that clearly when I was there. I…I planned to stay all along. I just didn't know how to tell you. You can't save everyone my friend although you try."
4. Dean: "I tried so damn hard to get us the hell out of there." Sam: "I know you did."
3. Dean: "You do see something severely wrong here right? Sammy I remember every second of leaving that place. I mean I remember the…the heat, the stink, the pain. Even the fear. I have that whole ugly mess right here and he says he has no idea how he got out. I…I'm just not buying it." Sam: "So you think he's lying?" Dean: "I'm saying something else happened. I saw the shape that he was in. I mean there was no way he was fighting his a** out alone. No way!" Sam: "Alright, so who or what got him out?" Dean: "Yeah exactly."
2. Dean: "You know I could have pulled him out. I just don't understand why he didn't try harder." Sam: "Dean…you did everything you could." Dean: "Yeah but why do I feel like cr**." Sam: "Survivor's guilt." Dean: "Hmm." Sam: "If you let, this is going to keep messing with you. You've got to walk past it."
1. Dean: "Save the Hallmark. It's gonna work. Nobody gets left behind."
Special Quote Awards:
Oh Kill Me Now Line: Dean: "Look I don't need to feel like hell for failing you okay. For failing you like I fail every other God forsaken thing that I care about. I don't need it."
I thought we left Guilt-Entrenched Dean in Purgatory. I thought we were getting new, improved, mature Hunter Dean this season. Let's stifle the guilt and go kill some evil. Besides this line is bound to start yet another round of who really failed whom in the fandom.
Best Answer to a Dropped Plot Line: Sam: "Uh how…how is Kevin a prophet if Chuck is a prophet?" Cas: "Not sure what happened to Chuck but um he must be dead."
And good riddance in my opinion. Here's to never having Chuck back. I still blame him for Becky and his two hideous meta episodes. In all fairness though, I did like him in The End and the actor who portrayed him is awesome.
Quote to Live By: Dean: "Save the Hallmark."
It's the season 8 version of "No chick flick moments." Oh how I wish the authors would remember this mantra. We went from scary cool mini-horror movie to emoangsty melodrama for a while there and we still haven't fully recovered yet. I'm hoping for an action-packed quest in the second half of this season.
However, we also got a return of one of its fatal flaws - secondary characters saving the day. Not that this has been lacking in season 8 at all. This time it was Castiel's turn. While Dean gets thrown by a demon, Cas palm waves him away. Cas saves Kevin and probably his finger. Yet the most glaring time was when the big confrontation was between Crowley and Cas and the brothers weren't even in the room. At least in episode 2 they got to be lovely wallpaper. It's time for Dean and Sam to become the heroes of their own story again. Of all the things I miss from the first 3 seasons, this is the biggest. Here's hoping for the second half of the season quest to give us solid Winchester wins. In the end, this episode gets a C+ and ranks as the third best of the season for me.
Screencaps by Home of the Nutty
Click here to Read our Comment Policy
Your comments will NOT be posted unless you Verify Your Disqus Account.
Otherwise, it will be held in the moderation queue.
Here at SpoilerTV we allow you to personalize your experience by allowing you to customize various items on the site.
Background Colour Picker
Rounded Edges Sharp Edges Circle Square None
All you need to do is to put a link to your banner in the box below and press the Click Button. (For best results your image should be 1090px wide and 200px high.)
We have more banners in our Banner Gallery here.